The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has announced unprecedented new restrictions to life in an address to the nation on Friday, as he outlines stringent measures to curtail the spread of the coronavirus.
People have been asked to stay at home and away from others in all but the most limited of circumstances in order to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.
The measures, which is expected to come into force on Monday 1:am will remain in place for at least two weeks, after which they will be reviewed.
They will only be relaxed if the evidence shows a decline in the spread of the virus.
Cities to be affected are Accra, Tema in the Greater Accra region as well as Kumasi and Obuasi in the Ashanti region.
The president in a televised speech a while ago said the police and other relevant authorities will be given new powers to enforce the measures.
Commercial vehicles are also expected to comply with social distancing directive to minimize the risk of the spread of the virus.
“The oath of office I swore on February 2017 demands that I dedicate myself to the service of Ghanaian people. It is my job to protect you and I am determined to do just that. All what the government is doing is seeking to achieve five targets….we have succeeded in stopping the importation of the disease into the country.
“However, prevailing circumstances mean stricter measures need to be put in place to stop the spread of the virus in-country in Accra, Tema, Kasoa and Kumasi,” he said.
Affected areas in Greater Accra
In Greater Accra, the following areas will be affected:
1. Accra Metropolis;
2. Tema Metropolis;
3. Tema West Municipality;
4. Ledzokuku Municipality;
5. Krowor Municipality;
6. Adentan Municipality;
7. Ashiaman Municipality;
8. La-Nkwantanang-Madina Municipality;
9. La-Dade-Kotopon Municipality;
10. Okaikwei North Municipality;
11. Ablekuma North Municipality;
12. Ablekuma West Municipality;
13. Ablekuma Central Municipality;
14. Ayawaso East Municipality;
15. Ayawaso North Municipality;
16. Ayawaso West Municipality;
17. Ayawaso Central Municipality
18. Ga West Municipality;
19. Ga North Municipality;
20. Ga Central Municipality;
21. Ga South Municipality;
22. Ga East Municipality;
23. Korle-Klottey Municipality;
24. Weija/Gbawe Municipality;
25. Kpone Katamanso Municipality; and
26. Awutu Senya East Municipality.
In the Greater Kumasi Metropolitan Area and contiguous districts, the following areas are affected:
1. Kumasi Metropolis;
2. Asokwa Municipality;
3. Suame Municipality;
4. Old Tafo Municipality;
5. Oforikrom Municipality;
6. Asokore Mampong Municipality;
7. Kwadaso Municipality;
8. Atwima Nwabiagya Municipality;
9. Kwabre East Municipality;
10. Ejisu Municipality;
11. Afigya-Kwabre South District;
12. Bosomtwi District;
13. Atwima Kwanwoma District; and
14. Atwima Nwabiagya North District.
The partial lockdown, the President added, “means that everyone resident in these areas must stay at home for the next two weeks or 14 days.”
Update No. 4: Excerpts of my address to the nation